Food and Recipes
Cake au citron (Recette de Jocelyn Ballat) by Top Chef JoÃ«l Garault
To make one loaf cake
- 140 g of Sugar.
- 2 Eggs.
- Zest of one lemon.
- 60 g of Thick Cream.
- A Pinch of Fleur de Sel.
- 15 g of Dark Rum
- 120 g of Plain Flour.
- 4 g of Baking Powder.
- 40 g of Melted Butter.
For The Syrup
- 100 g of Lemon Juice
- 115 g of Water
- 125 g of Sugar
- Make the syrup by boiling the water with the sugar. Remove from heat and add lemon juice before it cools.
- In a bowl, add the 2 eggs and sugar. Beat until frothy. Fold in the thick cream and lemon zest.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Add to mixture and fold gently using a spatula.
- Finally add the salt, rum and melted butter.
- Pour the mixture into a well buttered and floured loaf tin.
- Bake in the oven for 7 minutes at 220°c and then reduce oven to 180°c and bake for 35 minutes.
- To check if the cake is baked, stick a needle into it and it should come out dry.
- Remove cake from the tin immediately.
Dressing up: Brush the top of the cake generously with the lemon syrup. Allow the cake to rest for several hours before serving.
See below for Starter and Main dish...
See Joël Garault in action in his kitchen at Vistamar *G.M
Follow Le Chef: http://passionnementmacuisine.jimdo.com/
and you can buy his book « Passionnément ma cuisine »
Meet the Food Master: Joël Garault
Joël Garault will be present for the 4 day food exhibition "Gastronomique de Monaco", 25 to 28 November 2011, and with a book signing on Saturday 26th November all day.
Special thanks to Alexandre Durand - Editor
See Joël's starter: Artichokes and Rock Salt, Red Mullet Fillets Graced with Niçoises.
See Joël's main dish: Slices of homemade country bread with melted gorgonzola cheese and shavings of fontina.