Food and Recipes
Pancakes for Shrove Tuesday
Shrove Tuesday is also known as Pancake Day - the day before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent which takes us through to Easter.
Usually, foods that were given up during Lent would be used up, such as eggs, butter, fats - just the ingredients to make delicious pancakes!
100 g Plain Flour
300 ml Milk (you can use semi-skimmed milk)
1 tablespoon of Sunflower or Vegetable Oil
Pinch of Salt
1. Whisk together in a large mixing bowl the flour, eggs, salt, oil and 50ml of the milk.
2. After the flour has been mixed in, beat the mixture into a thick smooth paste.
3. Continue to add the rest of the milk gradually to form the batter/pancake mix.
4. Allow the batter to stand for 30 minutes.
5. Pre-heat a lightly oiled frying pan. Using a ladle, pour the batter into the pan.
6. The pancakes should take 1 to 2 minutes to cook. As soon as begin to move, try and turn or flip them over and cook for a further minute.
You can eat with just sprinkled sugar or try these options:
a) Lemon zest and juice of the lemon
b) Maple Syrup and Nuts
c) A berry mix (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries) and sprinkle sugar or icing sugar.