Food and Recipes
A Feast of Chocolate
Pasta comes in all shapes and sizes. We take a look at pasta made with cocoa and serve it with a gorgonzola cheese sauce adding finely ground walnuts for added flavour. A perfect combination.
You can buy packets of chocolate pasta from the Eurodrink store in Ventimiglia (opposite the church), available as tagliatelle or farfalle (bows) and also chocolate and mint flavour.
Firstly prepare the sauce:
Gorgonzola Dolce 200g
Ground walnuts 50g
Salt and Pepper to taste (optional)
Melt the cheese into the milk, season (optional) and then stir in the ground nuts.
Chocolate & Mint Farfalle
Cook the pasta as you would any pasta and once drained immediately add to the cheese sauce and serve.
Gluten Free Black Forest Cake
250g of cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
5 large eggs
100g of ground almonds
100g of ground hazelnuts
220g of caster sugar
60g of cocoa
2 tsp of baking powder
½ tsp of bicarb soda
⅓ cup of cherries, pitted
1 tbs of water
1 egg yolk
80g of caster sugar
50g of butter
1 cup of cream
200g of dark chocolate, chopped
100g of chocolate, roughly chopped.
200ml of cream
1½ tbs of caster sugar
1 tbs of cherry brandy
½ cup of cherries, pitted and quartered
- Grease two 20cm springform pans and preheat the oven to 180 Celsius (350 fahrenheit).
- Place the cherries in a food processor and process until they are completely chopped. Add the remaining cake ingredients and process until combined. Divide the batter between the two pans and bake for 18 to 25 minutes. While the cake is hot and still in the pan sprinkle the cherry brandy over the cakes and leave to cool in the pan.
- To make the cherry curd place the cherries and water in a saucepan over a medium low heat and cook the cherries until they have cooked down and released their juices. Set aside to cool and puree and strain into a clean saucepan. Add the egg and egg yolk and caster sugar and whisk to combine. Place over a medium low heat and add the butter. Whisk until the curd thickens enough that you can see the trail of the whisk in the mixture. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Place the cream in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and whip until the cream forms medium peaks. Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble the cake.
- Assemble the cake by spreading the cherry curd over the bottom layer of the cake and topping with the chopped cherries. Then top with the whipped cream and the top layer of cake. Refrigerate while you make the chocolate ganache and chocolate chards.
- To make the chocolate chards, line a baking tray with non stick baking paper. Place the chocolate pieces in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until melted. Pour the melted chocolate into the baking tray and refrigerate until set. Break into chards and refrigerate until you are ready to decorate the cake.
- To make the ganache place the cream in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Pour over the chopped chocolate and leave for 2 minutes to infuse. Take a small whisk, and starting at the centre, whisk in small circles. For a while it will look nothing is happening, but soon you will begin to see a thick mass of glossy chocolate from in the middle of the bowl. Slowly circle the whisk outwards, incorporating more cream as you go, until you have a smooth and glossy mixture.
- Remove the cake from the refrigerator and place on a baking tray and line underneath with baking paper. Pour the ganache over the top of the cake and use a flat spatula to ease the ganache down the sides of the cake. When the cake is coated place the chocolate chards all around the sides of the cake. Top with extra cherries and any remaining chocolate chards.
Thank you to: www.deliciouseveryday.com/gluten-free-black-forest-cake/