Food and Recipes
Wild Rice Risotto with Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Gorgonzola
Risotto is one of those dishes that tastes good all year round. This particular recipe has been created to fuse two favourite flavours; Brussels Sprouts and Gorgonzola Cheese. Yes, it works wonderfully!
This year we are inspired by healthy eating. We believe that how we fuel our bodies is essential for good living.
Brussels sprouts, rinsed and ends trimmed, 132 grams (4 1/2 ounces)
Whole grain rice, 200 grams (7 ounces)
Onion, 1 small, minced
Olive oil, 1 tablespoon + 1 tablespoon
Dry white wine, 80 milliliters (1/3 cup)
Vegetable broth, 1 liter (1 quart)
Salt, as needed
Gorgonzola cheese (preferably dolce), 100 grams (3 1/2 ounces)
Parmesan cheese, grated 25 grams (1/4 cup)
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (400°F)
2. Halve the Brussels sprouts, then toss in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
3. Place the sprouts on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until golden and tender crisp.
4. Sauté the minced onion on low in the other tablespoon of olive oil until tender and translucent.
5. Add the rice and cook until toasted, about a minute.
6. Add the white wine and cook until the wine has evaporated.
7. Gradually add the vegetable broth to the rice, stirring occasionally.
8. Risotto needs about a 1/2 centimeter (1/4 inch) pool of cooking liquid on the rice at all times in order to cook.
9. The cooking time will vary depending on the rice you use; generally about 40 minutes is a good estimate for most wild and whole grain rices.
10. When the rice is done (al dente: cooked but not mushy), yet still creamy, turn off the heat and stir in the Brussels sprouts, gorgonzola and Parmesan cheese.
Thank you Wendy, this is just 'too' good! www.flavorofitalyblog.com