Health and Beauty
5 Lymphantastic Yoga Moves for Breast Cancer Prevention
By Yoga & Fitness expert Anette Shine
Every year we are reminded that sadly breast cancer hits 1 in 8 women. This must change! Even though the month of October is dedicated to Breast Cancer Awareness, it is important that we take care of ourselves all year round. Yoga balances and regulates the endocrine system, and thus our hormones. It also builds the immune system, while promoting lymph flow. Try these moves in order to drain toxins from your breasts and lymph nodes in the axilla (arm pits) Obviously the more you practice, the more effective it will be…
1) “The cactus” pose: Tense all the muscles in your arms and chest as much as you can and hold for 5 seconds. Press your elbows backwards for more intensity. This will get the prana flow going in the upper body. Repeat at least 3 times.
2) “Half cow face arm pose” (triceps stretch) Bend one arm behind your back and hold the elbow with the other hand, pressing it gently backward away from your head. Take 5 deep breaths through the nose and change side.
Half Cow Face Arm Pose
3) "The lateral lymphedema stretch” Place one hand on a wall in shoulder level (or a little below) and stretch your arm completely. Then begin to "walk away” from it in the opposite direction until you feel a pull. Watch out that you keep your elbow “locked” at all times to make it efficient.
Lateral Lymphadema Stretch
4) “The Compas Arm stretch” Sit down with your legs apart. Lift and lengthen your upper body into a side stretch by sliding one hand towards a foot. Stretch and open the other arm up and backward. Stretch both arms as much as possible, while turning your chest upward, expanding the top lung. Hold as long as you feel comfortable, while breathing calmly.
5) “The Compas Circle” Continue from the previous pose, going into a dynamic circle with the upper arm making the circle as big as you possibly can while keeping the elbow locked. (maximum range of motion) Inhale as the arm goes up and backward. Exhale while the arm goes down and forward. This move nurtures your lymphatic system.
Compas Circle (Showing the arm moving back in a circle motion)
Other tips for breast cancer prevention:
- Meditate daily.
- Breathe deeply.
- Get enough sleep.
- Eat, clean, and detox your body.
- Journal before going to bed to detoxify your mind.
- Practice forgiveness everyday.
Love and excellent health, Anette XXX